Chrysalis Healing and Coaching  - Reiki, Reflexology,  Life Coaching
My Blog

Transforming Victim to Survivor

You have the power to get out of the well one step at a time

The other day while doing some research I came across this fable which really spoke to my heart.

The Farmer’s Donkey

One day a farmer’s donkey fell down into a well. The animal cried piteously for hours as the
farmer tried to figure out a way to get him out. Finally he decided it was probably impossible and the animal was old and the well was dry anyway, so it just  wasn’t worth it to try and get the  donkey out. So the farmer asked his neighbors to come over and help him cover up the well. They all grabbed shovels and began to shovel dirt into the well.

At first when the donkey realized what was happening he cried horribly. Then, to everyone’s amazement he quieted down and let out some happy brays. A few shovels later, the farmer looked down the well to see what was happening and was astonished at what he saw. With every  shovel of dirt that hit his back, the donkey was shaking it off and taking  a step up.

As the farmer’s neighbors continued to shovel  dirt on top of the donkey, he continued  to shake it off and take a step up.  Pretty soon to every one’s amazement the donkey stepped over the edge of the well and trotted off.

Morale

The trick to getting out of the well is to shake it off and take a step up

Each one of our troubles is a stepping stone

What happens to you isn’t nearly as important as how you react to it.

Author Unknown

How do you react to adversity? Do you become a victim or are you a survivor shaking adversity off?

Perhaps you don’t even realize you are playing the victim role.  For years, I played the victim role without being aware of it. The first step is awareness. Once you are aware that you are playing the victim role then you can take further action transforming from  victim to  survivor.

Signs that you are playing the victim role

Blaming others for your pain

I used to blame everyone and everything else for my pain and suffering – “ it’s not my fault  if only I had been raised by better parents”  in the long term those feelings led to feeling powerless and helpless.

Failure to accept responsibility

You have the power to choose how you react to adversity you can’t control the cards that are dealt to you in life but you can control how you play them.  Take responsibility for yourself. You alone decide how you react to adversity.

Feeling helpless

Find the source of your learned helplessness - most likely experienced in childhood or early adulthood.

I was raised in a dysfunctional environment that fostered dependence rather than confidence.

Take some time to reflect and write on the source of your learned helplessness.

Focusing on problems

The more you focus on a problem you will attract more of it into your life. Rather than focus on the problem search for solutions than will best work for you. You may need therapy or a coach to guide you with your journey.

Lack of boundaries

Learn to create and maintain healthy boundaries.

A boundary is a clear communication that respects yourself and others based on your values, rules and limitations.  One boundary that I have set for myself is not spend time with people who bring me down. I surround myself with positive people.

Self-Sabotage

Victims tend to undermine or sabotage their own happiness and success. Control is the root of self-sabotage in victims.  Victims believe when things are going well that disaster is just around the corner. I would never allow myself to be happy for long periods of time as unconsciously I was sure disaster was not far off. I did not feel worthy of happiness. Brene  Brown  calls it  “deep foreboding”  disaster is always lurking around the corner and most intense when things are going well. Disaster is coming and the victim wants to be in control so when that disaster strikes he is prepared. The victim undermines his own joy and success with self-destructive behaviour.

Give up your need for control and focus on gratitude daily and enjoy all your blessings.

Keep a gratitude journal to write in about all the things you are grateful for.

Get out of your head space and participate in random acts of kindness. Helping another person/community will help empower yourself. The realization of the positive impact on another can positively influence your own life.

Lack of Self-Confidence

Victims tend to struggle with low self confidence.  Not everyone is born self-confident. Self-confidence can be learned and improved upon. Always dress and act confident eventually your internal state will catch up and begin to match your external state. Set up small achievable goals to work towards, your self-confidence will increase with each attained goal.

Forgiveness and Compassion

Finally, forgiveness is about you not your perpetrator. Forgiveness does not mean that you excuse the wrong.  It’s about your response to the pain inflicted on you. Transform the pain to compassion and empathy for the other. Find your inner strength to get past your pain to find inner peace and freedom so you may move on with your life.  Once you forgive healing can truly take place.  Don’t forget to forgive and have compassion for yourself as well.

16 Comments to Transforming Victim to Survivor:

Comments RSS
Matthew Sullivan on July-16-18 4:46 AM
Regular job.

essay writers australia on August-16-18 1:55 AM
I have also read the same story a while ago but it was not well detailed like you have been talking about in this post. It surely seems to be something that is interesting for person that is interested in history.

x on October-03-18 7:06 AM
Thank you!

need resume help on October-23-18 5:01 AM
The line "What happens to you isn’t nearly as important as how you react to it," is really inspiring. I believe that if it won't matter in 5 years, then do not spend more than 5 minutes worrying about it now. And in contrary, I do not really like those people who act as if they are the victim. Putting the blame on other people for our incompetence is extremely awful. You should learn to own your mistakes and learn from it.

cheap writing essay australia on February-17-19 6:10 AM
It's a nice article. I would like to discuss this topic with you. If that's possible.

hollywood jackets on May-23-19 5:55 AM
Wow! I’m browsing away perusing your web journal from my lap! Simply needed to say I adore perusing your website and anticipate every one of your posts! Carry on the eminent work.Feel free to browse for getting more information about writing work

Baby Driver Celebrities Outfit on May-29-19 1:08 AM
yes I appreciate your question & this idea. The idea makes it easy for the public to approach a valid resources for solving their problem. I have a business of mens Coats and Jackets Collectionfor the business men & salaried person public can find this idea helpful for their life.

Achievements & Awards Sami on May-31-19 3:09 AM
I read the article you shared, it was awesome and left a deep impression on me, thank you for sharing this great article and meaning.

Patricia A. Warner on June-26-19 3:37 AM
Furthermore, understanding leadership styles is also a powerful method to enhance leadership qualities. When setting your organisational goals, consider the leadership styles you believe will facilitate your goals CLIK HERE .

latest hollywood jacket on July-04-19 6:14 AM
The article has genuinely peaks my interest. I’m going to bookmark your web page and maintain checking for new details. I am looking for some good blog sites for studying. I was searching over search engines and found your blog site.

assignment help on August-03-19 10:17 AM
Epson Printer Support is available round the clock to resolve your printer problems. If you face any problem with your Epson printer device like device is not working properly, cable problem, cartage problem, blank screen and others then contact at Epson Support and resolve your issue in no time.

proassignmenthelp on August-09-19 6:35 AM
Here I am sharing a very useful resource for students looking for assignment help. Yes it is Proassignmenthelp providing all sort of assignment writing in various subjects like as : Electrical engineering assignment help , electronics assignment help , MATLAB assignment help , management assignment help , etc.

best exercise for weight loss on August-15-19 3:55 AM
They may not know how to answer or help you. Give them time to process what you tell them. It is also important to inform them about your specific eating disorder.

myassignmentmart on September-05-19 1:08 PM
In todays busy world you took out to invest some time as and shared this with us to help others. I also help students in their studies by sharing and providing them Nursing Assignment Help , Electrical Engineering Assignment Help, Programming Assignment Help , Management Assignment Help , Law Assignment Help

MATLAB solutions on September-19-19 12:12 AM
It’s good to share information with others. I am also sharing something very important for students seeking MATLAB Assignment Help. Visit MatlabSolutions and get best assistance in your MATLAB, Simulink Assignments and Projects. You can also get CDR Report Engineers Australia if you look to immigrate to Australia.

myassignmentmart on September-25-19 6:43 AM
Sharing information with others is good. I also want to share some good links for students all across the world. There is a team providing assignment help , which includes writing help service in different subjects. Like as Mechanical Engineering Assignment Help , Electronics Engineering Assignment Help, MATLAB Assignment Help , Civil Engineering Assignment Help , Computer Science Assignment Help